Need a tanning business tip for J.A.S.O.N.? Try this social media marketing strategy to get people into your tanning salon during the off-peak months!
During J.A.S.O.N., my tanning salon decreases in client count, which decreases my sales. After visiting with another tanning salon owner – Crystle Norman at Suntan Magic – I acquired a tip that can help generate excitement about my salon. This excitement will get people to come through my salon’s doors during the off-peak months. What is this tip that Crystle shared with me? Auctioning my tanning lotions and other retail products on Facebook. Crystle’s idea is a great way to increase sales, get rid of stagnant inventory, and increase your tanning salon’s social media activity during J.A.S.O.N.
It’s very easy to host a J.A.S.O.N. Facebook auction. Here are the steps:
- Choose a set of tanning lotions and other products that you want to move. I organize my auction items around various themes such as men’s baskets, all-pink items, just skincare items, etc. Ideas are based on what I have in stock. To save on expenses, I stick with what I already have on hand.
- Put the items together then take a photo of them to post on social media. Be sure to post the total retail amount of the products in your set. I suggest setting the starting auction bid at half the retail price because this encourages bids, and tanners will feel that they’re getting a great deal.
- Schedule your auctions for five to seven days. Remember, not all your tanners will see your salon posts everyday unless you spend money to boost the post. Encourage your salon staff to share the auction on their personal social media pages to further extend its reach. I will also link the Facebook auction and photo on my salon’s Twitter and Instagram accounts. Be sure to post daily comments to the highest bid. All of this activity gives more people the chance to see the post, especially as it starts to gain more likes, comments, and perhaps even shares.
- Be sure to have signage inside your tanning salon that reads: Join our online auction, or Check out our weekly auction on Facebook. In-store signage is a great way to promote this auction to people who might not normally see it on social media. It also could encourage more of your tanners to like your tanning salon’s social media pages.
- Keep the items on display at your counter to remind your walk-in clients about the auction and when it ends. You can also end your auction early if you reach the retail price or your set price goal.
- Set your starting bid at double what you purchased the items for or half the retail amount. This ensures that you can cover your costs. Each time I’m able to get 75 percent of the tanning lotion’s retail price, I consider the auction a success.
Good Luck, Tanning Salon Owners!
During J.A.S.O.N., the most important thing tanning salon owners can do is keep people coming through your doors. A tanning lotion auction on Facebook can be just the thing to generate some excitement because everyone likes a deal. Keep in mind, you might have to host a few auctions before they start to become very popular at your tanning salon. Don’t give up! No bids means you can always try again later or add more value to your auction set. Most of all, have fun with it! I want to send out a big thank you to Crystle Norman of Suntan Magic for this amazing tanning salon business tip. I hope you give it a try during J.A.S.O.N., tanning salon owners!